Holly swims new Deepings club record at Midland Short Course Champs
Five Deepings Swimming Club swimmers qualified for the Swim England Midland Short Course Championships, held in Nottingham last weekend.
Bethany Eagle-Brown, Holly Leggott, Louis Metselaar, Tom Adams and Jake Jungmann competed in 26 events, swam eight short course personal bests, reached three finals and broke one club record.
Podium places were at a premium against the best swimmers of all ages in the midlands region, but seventeen-year-old Louis swam a new personal best in the 100IM heats to reach the B final, then went even quicker to finish a highly respectable third in the final.
Louis also made the B final in the 50m breaststroke, touching in eighth, and placed inside the top 25 in the 100m breaststroke (20th) and 50m butterfly (22nd), swimming another personal best. He also raced in the 100m butterfly and 50m freestyle.
An excellent swim in the 50m butterfly heats saw 16-year-old Bethany qualify for the B final where she sprinted to a new short course personal best to finish fourth – less than two-tenths off third place.
Bethany also achieved a lifetime best in the 50m backstroke and 50m freestyle during a busy schedule where she competed in seven events, including the 100m freestyle, 100m backstroke, 100IM and 100m butterfly.
Teammate Holly Leggott, also 16, broke the Deepings club record for the 16yrs 50m backstroke setting a new benchmark of 31.60 to finish 33rd overall. She also came 33rd in the 100m backstroke, but saved her best result for her final race, coming 30th in the 50m freestyle out of 83 competitors. Holly also lined up for the 100m freestyle and 100IM and contested close to her top form.
Tom Adams, 17, set a pair of short course PBs, with excellent swims in the 100m butterfly and 50m breaststroke. His best result came in the 100IM, finishing 21st, while he also competed in the 50m and 100m freestyle, and 50m and 200m butterfly.
Completing the weekend racing was Jake Jungmann. A strong swim in the 100IM saw the 16-year-old finish 44th overall.
Lynn Chapman, Deepings Swimming Club head coach, said: “This was a tough competition against outstanding swimmers but our squad put together some strong performances to prove they belong at this elite level. They showed excellent attitude and were rewarded with a number of decent personal bests.”
RESULTS IN FULL
- Bethany Eagle-Brown: 100m freestyle 27th; 100m backstroke 34th; 100IM 35th; 50m butterfly 13th, B final 4th; 100m butterfly 22nd; 50m backstroke 41st; 50m freestyle 31st
- Holly Leggott: 100m freestyle 43rd; 100m backstroke 33rd; 100IM 60th; 50m backstroke 33rd; 50m freestyle 30th
- Louis Metselaar: 100m breaststroke 20th; 100m butterfly 45th; 50m freestyle 62nd; 50m breaststroke 14th, B Final 8th; 100IM 14th, B Final 3rd; 50m butterfly 22nd
- Tom Adams: 100m butterfly 26th; 50m freestyle 79th; 100m freestyle 46th; 50m breaststroke 25th; 200m butterfly 26th; 100IM 21st; 50m butterfly 60th
- Jake Jungmann: 100IM 44th